In this take of the EOC Podcast, I speak with Jai Corria, an assistant camera and digital imaging technician with over a decade of industry experience. Jai has worked in such big titles as Pirates of Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Parks and Recreation. More recently, Jai has also worked on Horrible Bosses 2 and Mall Cop 2. As of this recording, Jai is currently in Pittsburgh, working on another feature film. Go Jai!
In this show we talk about:
- How and when Jai first started using a camera.
- A Union Apprenticeship Program that trains you for industry jobs.
- The best course of action to get your career off the ground.
- What she would differently if she had to start over.
- How relationships and involvement can lead to a promotion.
- A few differences between working in film and TV.
- The challenges of being an assistant camera.
- How overwhelmingly onerous (and sometimes unfair) the set life can be.
- Her advice for future filmmakers.
- Hollywood Cinema Production Resource: a union apprenticeship program in Los Angeles
- The Leuzinger High School Multimedia Careers Academy (Lawndale, California)
- American Cinematographer Manual (book)
- Codex Vault: a high-end platform to streamline media management.